Central held its first worship service on September 15, 1849, the year before the City of Stockton was chartered and California became a state, in a tent at the corner of Miner Avenue and San Joaquin Street. The first buildings was dedicated on July 28, 1851, having been constructed at a cost of $12,000.
Central's home from 1851-1958
The fourth structure the church occupied (including the tent) was a magnificent brick structure dedicated on April 5, 1891. It was built on the site where the first tent meeting was held. The building seated one-thousand and was built at a cost of $86,000. On July 20, 1958, the last service was held in "Old Central". The stained glass windows that grace the narthex of the current church were brought from the former church building.
Central's new home 1964
On June 7, 1964, Central consecrated its new sanctuary and Fellowship Hall at Pacific and Fulton Avenues, across the street from University of the Pacific. Worship services were celebrated in Morris Chapel on the University campus during construction of the new sanctuary. The contract cost was $680,000!